We use cookies and other services to enhance your browsing experience. Our privacy policy explains more. Please click the button to continue.


Blogs & News Updates

Stay informed to keep ahead

What is Co-Insurance?

What is Co-Insurance ?

Understanding expat medical and travel insurance terminology is hugely important to ensure you fully understand and appreciate what is and more importantly what is not covered within a medical insurance contract.

We start this series of informational guidance blogs on the subject of 'co-insurance'.

In this particular blog we explain what 'co-insurance' is and how it is often integrated into both travel insurance policies and also fully featured expat medical insurance plans.

"Co-insurance" - an explanation

If you have also been trying to figure out what is co-insurance, you have come to the right place.

First, it’s important to know that co-insurance is not a benefit like dental or hospital visits.

It’s one type of out of pocket expense that you may have on an international health insurance plan.

What that means is if you utilize the insurance – you and your insurance will share the financial cost.

Co-insurance is the shared cost of medical treatment between the insured and the insurance company.

This shared cost is typically broken down by a certain percentage, like 80/20.

A 'co-insurance' example

In the instance of an 80/20 co-insurance, the insurance company will pay 80 percent and the insured is responsible for the other 20 percent.

It’s important to check out what percentage you will be expected to pay and equally important to check if there is a payment ceiling.

For example, perhaps you find a plan that has a 80/20 co-insurance up to $5,000.

This means that you are responsible for 20 percent of your expenses until you reach the $5,000 cap.

Then, typically the insurance will pay 100 percent up to the benefit or policy maximum.

Keep in mind that not all co-insurance will have a cap.

While this is fine for smaller items such as a doctor visit for a cold, it can quickly add up when it comes to larger emergency situations.

It’s good to ask the question "what is co-insurance" ?, but also, "what is the co-insurance percentage break down and cap" ? on the plan under review.

If you would like more details on co-insurance and finding an international health insurance plan that will meet your needs, use the button below.

Don't miss out on the latest developments

leave your details below and we'll keep you informed to stay ahead.

Thank you! Your submission was successfully sent :-)×
Opps! Some went wrong... Your submission did not go through :-(×

By communicating via this site I accept the privacy policy

Search Using Categories,Tags, & Dates